HEADS UP: School Starts Today, Please Remember These Motorist and School Bus Safety Tips
By Space Coast Daily // August 10, 2017
Pay attention to lower speed limits in school zones
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – With school set to start next week we all need to remember the rules of the road when it come to safely and legally navigating the many school buses that will be on Space Coast roadways.
• All drivers moving in either direction on a two-way street must stop for a school bus displaying a stop signal, and must remain stopped until the road is clear of children and the school bus stop arm is withdrawn.
• On a highway divided by a paved median, all drivers moving in either direction must stop for a school bus displaying a stop signal, and must remain stopped until the road is clear of children AND the school bus stop arm is withdrawn.
• On a highway divided by a raised barrier or an unpaved median at least 5 feet wide, drivers moving in the opposite direction do not have to stop for the bus (painted lines or pavement markings are not considered barriers). However, these motorists should slow down and watch for students loading or unloading from the bus.
• Be alert and watch for children especially near schools, bus stops, school buses and in school parking lots. Pay extra attention to lower speed limits in school zones.
• Watch for and obey signals from school crossing guards.
• Only drive or park in authorized areas to drop off or pick up children at school.
ABOVE VIDEO: Teach your kids how to stay safe on and around school buses as they head back to school this fall. These tips are brought to you by First Student, North America’s largest provider of student transportation, and the National Safety Council.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS