Brevard’s Sun & Skin Care Research Acquires Bull Frog
By SpaceCoastDaily // February 14, 2013
BREVARD COUNTY • COCOA, FLORIDA – Sun & Skin Care Research (SSCR, LLC) announced that it completed the acquisition of the popular sunscreen brand Bull Frog from Chattem, Inc., a Division of Sanofi US.
“Bull Frog is an iconic brand that we believe will respond positively to our laser focus on the sun care category and our commitment to growing brands through innovation, advertising and best-in-class retail service,” said Steve Taylor, chief executive officer, Sun & Skin Care Research.
“We are well positioned to leverage the Bull Frog market opportunity and drive the brand to a new level.”
Bull Frog has a history of innovation and was the first sun care brand to provide water resistant protection and the first mass marketed sunscreen/insect repellent line. Launched in 1985 in California, Bull Frog offered serious sun protection to surfers who spent hours in the water.
The brand has expanded beyond that core audience and today is well-loved by consumers with an active life style who need superior water resistant and insect repellent protection. Bull Frog Mosquito Coast® is the number one selling combination sunscreen and insect repellent.
“This acquisition is consistent with our long-term strategy, which includes growing our sun care portfolio with clearly differentiated offerings as part of a broader diversification strategy,” said Taylor.
New and Unique Sun Protection
Sun & Skin Care Research was founded in 1989 and is dedicated to improving and protecting the health of your skin in and out of the sun, everyday and everywhere. The company develops, manufactures and distributes a wide array of new and unique sun protection and skin care products that are distributed around the world.
The company’s portfolio of Brands include Ocean Potion®, NO-AD® and PARROT HEAD™ from Margaritaville®. The company proudly makes all of its products in Cocoa, Florida, USA.
“There’s no place like home,” according to sscrllc.com, the Sun & Skin Care Research website.
“Since our founding in 1989, Sun & Skin Care Research hasn’t ventured far from our backyard. From our sunny home in Cocoa, Florida, we do it all—the only thing we outsource is lunch. Since product-development, research and manufacturing are all under the same roof, we’re highly agile, with greater flexibility, quicker innovations and fresher products. It also helps that we’re “all just down the hall.”
“SSCR is committed to keeping jobs in the community…and the country. We’re proud to be “made in the USA.”
Sun & Skin Care Research Company History
• 2012: No-AD® voted a “Best Buy” product for the fourth consecutive year by America’s leading consumer publication. Source Capital invests in Sun & Skin Care Research
• 2011: SSCR partners with Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville® brand to develop Parrot Head® sun-care products that “capture the feeling of tropical fun every time you’re in the sun.”
• 2008: Acquired “intellectual property assets” (including marks, patents, copyrights and formulas) for NO-AD® products, a brand widely praised for delivering unrivaled value in sun care
• 2006: Opened west coast sales and distribution center in Corona, California
• 2004: Expanded Cocoa production facility to keep up with demand
• 2000: Produced first sun-care product manufactured in SSRC’s current headquarters in Cocoa, Florida
• 1993: SSRC continues to follow the sun, moving south to Suntree, Florida
• 1991: Ocean Potion moves its headquarters to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
• 1989: Ocean Potion is born! Gary DeAngelo begins selling his Ocean Potion sun-care products to surf shops in Virginia Beach, Virginia
FOR MORE INFORMATION LOG ON TO SSCRLLC.com