Ramon Buchanan Inks Free Agent Deal With Seahawks
By Space Coast Daily // April 28, 2013
2013 NFL DRAFT
RENTON, WASHINGTON – The Seattle Seahawks agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free agent Ramon Buchanan, who was among 20 other NFL undrafted free agents who signed with the Seahawks yesterday.
A former Palm Bay Pirate and Miami Hurricane, the 6-1, 230-pound Buchanan was listed as the only outside linebacker on the Seattle free agent roster.
A talented player in both high school and college, Buchanan created controversy for himself and the Hurricane football program in March 2011 when he was arrested on felony charges of resisting a police officer with violence and battery on a police officer, firefighter, or emergency medical care provider. He avoided criminal charges by completing a program for first-time offenders and was reinstated to the Miami Hurricane team after being deleted from the roster.
HIGH SCHOOL & COLLEGE STATS
Buchanan recorded 98 tackles, six sacks and three interceptions in his senior season at Palm Bay and following is a summary from his college and high school career according to HurricaneSports.com:
• 2012 SEASON (Redshirt Senior): Played and started in two games, recording 10 tackles (six solo) … Suffered second season-ending knee injury in two seasons … Injured in season’s second game at Kansas State … Earned letter.
• 2011 SEASON (Senior): Played and started in four games … Had year cut short after sustaining right knee injury against Bethune-Cookman … Was on pace for career high in tackles before getting hurt … Finished season with 18 total tackles (11 solo, seven assists) … Recorded eight tackles and two tackles-for-loss against Maryland … Registered five tackles against then-No. 17 Ohio State.
• 2010 SEASON (Junior): Started 10 of 13 games … Fifth on team in tackles (54) … Recorded eight tackles-for-loss … Recorded career-high seven tackles against Florida State … Also recorded six tackles against Florida A&M, Clemson, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech … Earned letter.
• 2009 SEASON (Sophomore): Had 28 total tackles (20 solo, eight assists) … Saw increased action at outside linebacker position when Sean Spence missed time with injury in late October, early November … After recording just seven tackles in UM’s first six games, tallied 19 over last six contests … Tallied career-high six total tackles and had QB hurry and PBU in only start of season at North Carolina … Also recorded five tackles versus Florida A&M and at USF in regular-season finale … Averaged 4.6 tackles per contest over UM’s last three road games (at Wake Forest, at UNC, at USF) … Had 3.5 tackles-for-loss and two PBUs on the year … Earned a letter.
• 2008 SEASON (True Freshman): Played in nine games, mostly on special teams, but saw some action at safety against Duke … Had six tackles in nine games … Started out as defensive back before making switch to linebacker towards end of season … Earned a letter.
• HIGH SCHOOL CAREER – Palm Bay: As senior in 2007, made more than 100 tackles with three interceptions while playing linebacker and safety … As junior in 2006, surpassed 100 tackles and 10 sacks … Coached by Dan Burke … Ranked No. 2 safety in nation, as well as No. 10 in Florida and No. 61 overall by Rivals.com … Rated No. 64 in country by Scout.com … Ranked No. 3 outside linebacker by ESPN.