Eight Panthers Selected All-Gulf South Conference
By Ryan Jones // November 20, 2013
Stapleton Co-GSC Defensive Freshman of the Year
BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA – Florida Tech placed eight members of its inaugural football team on the All-Gulf South Conference Team, announced by the league office Wednesday afternoon.
Earning recognition was linebacker Chris Stapleton, who was chosen Co-GSC Defensive Freshman of the Year. Tight end Gabe Hughes and wide receiver Xavier Milton were unanimous first team selections. Quarterback Bobby Vega, guard Ramsey Sellers, defensive lineman Skylar Sheffield, linebacker Justin Arcune, Stapleton and defensive back Manny Abad garnered second team honors.
“All of our players that received all-conference were deserving of the award,” head Steve Englehart said. “I know they are honored to be recognized among the best players in the Gulf South Conference.”
• Chris Stapleton, a redshirt freshman from Navarre, Fla., finished the regular season tied for first in the GSC in tackles for loss at 11.5, tied for third with two forced fumbles and in sole possession of sixth in tackles per game at 7.9. He is currently second on the team in the tackles department with 87 and has registered two sacks on the season.
• Gabe Hughes, a sophomore from Lighthouse Point, Fla., has caught 19 passes for 186 yards and one touchdown. He has snagged at least one pass in all, but two of the Panthers’ 11 games this season. His two biggest games were against former No. 1 Valdosta State and then No. 24 North Alabama. He hauled in six passes for 43 yards against the Blazers and then five balls for 47 yards against the Lions.
• Xavier Milton, a junior from Alameda, Calif., has been the primary target for the Panthers’ quarterbacks this season. He is currently first in the GSC in receptions with 70, tied for second in receptions per game at 6.4, fifth in receiving yards per game at 69.2 and tied for eighth with nine touchdowns. He has caught 70 passes for 761 yards.
• Bobby Vega, a fifth-year senior from Miami, Fla., has made a significant impact in his lone season in a Crimson and Gray uniform. Compared to his peers, he is first in the GSC in passing completions at 202 and attempts at 325, second in passing yards at 1,857 and touchdowns at 13, third in passing yards per game at 168.8 and fourth in total offense at 163.1 yards per game.
• Ramsey Sellers, a junior captain from Wiggins, Miss., has been a staple on the Panthers’ offensive line at left guard. He has been a catalyst in the success of Vega and the Panthers’ running backs in all 11 games. In addition to Vega’s numbers mentioned above, he has helped provide the blocking for redshirt freshman running backTrevor Sand, who ranks third in the GSC at 80.2 rushing yards per game after totaling 802 yards in 10 games.
• Skylar Sheffield, a true freshman from Henderson, Tenn., has held his own on the defensive line in his first season. He has recorded 29 tackles, four tackles for loss and one sack in 11 games. He is coming off a six-tackle performance in the Panthers’ 17-3 regular-season finale win over Webber International last Saturday at Pirate Stadium.
• Justin Arcune, a redshirt junior captain from Los Altos, Calif., finished the regular season tied for third in the GSC in sacks with five, seventh in tackles with 85, 10th in tackles per game at 7.7 and 11th in tackles for loss with nine. He posted double figures in tackles two times, recording 11 at Delta State and 12 at West Georgia.
• Manny Abad, a redshirt freshman from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has been tasked with covering the opposition’s top receiver this season. He has risen to the challenge and helped the defense rank second in the GSC in pass defense, surrendering just 183.9 yards per game. The unit also ranks second in opponents’ third down conversion percentage at 34.2. On the season, he has 29 tackles, two sacks, one interception, eight pass break-ups and has recovered two fumbles.
PANTHERS PREPARING TO PLAY IN FUTURES BOWL
This week, the Panthers are preparing to play in the first-ever Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Division II Futures Bowl against fellow first-year program Alderson Broaddus.
The game, scheduled for this Saturday, Nov. 23 at 2 p.m., will take place on the campus of Alderson Broaddus at AB Stadium in Philippi, W.Va.
Tickets for Saturday’s game are $10 for reserved chair-back seats and $5 for general admission. Tickets can be purchased by contacting the Alderson Broaddus athletic office at 304-457-6262.
• Live video and stats will be available courtesy of Alderson Broaddus at GoBattlers.com and via SpaceCoastDaily.com
• Jim Mitchell and Paul Van Scott will provide commentary of the game at FloridaTechSports.com/live
Complete All-Gulf South Conference Team
West Alabama quarterback Kyle Caldwell was named GSC Offensive Player of the Year. North Alabama linebacker Tavarius Wilson earned the conference’s defensive player of the year accolade.
Delta State quarterback Tyler Sullivan was selected GSC Offensive Freshman of the Year. Sharing the freshman defensive player of the year award with Stapleton was North Alabama defensive back Philbert Martial. Delta State’s Todd Cooley was chosen the league’s coach of the year.
|GSC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR:||QB, Kyle Caldwell, West Alabama|
|GSC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR:||LB, Tavarius Wilson, North Alabama|
|GSC OFFENSIVE FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR:||QB, Tyler Sullivan, Delta State|
|GSC DEFENSIVE FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR:||DB, Philbert Martial, North Alabama|
|LB, Chris Stapleton, Florida Tech|
|GSC COACH OF THE YEAR:||Todd Cooley, Delta State|
2013 ALL-GSC FOOTBALL FIRST TEAM
|QB||Kyle Caldwell||West Alabama||5-7||165||JR||Dadeville, AL|
|RB||!Cedric O’Neal||Valdosta State||5-11||203||SO||Dublin, GA|
|RB||*Javae Swindle||West Alabama||5-4||162||SO||Thorsby, AL|
|WR||Ricky Hunt||Delta State||5-10||175||JR||Sardis, MS|
|WR||*!Seantavius Jones||Valdosta State||6-3||200||SR||Tucker, GA|
|WR||*Xavier Milton||Florida Tech||6-0||190||JR||Alameda, CA|
|WR||#Chad Toocheck||West Alabama||6-3||212||JR||Medina, OH|
|TE||*Gabe Hughes||Florida Tech||6-4||235||SO||Lighthouse Point, FL|
|AP||Chris Coffey (RB)||North Alabama||5-8||200||SR||Decatur, AL|
|C||Tyler Sizemore||North Alabama||6-2||305||SR||Apalachicola, FL|
|G||Garrison Ushery||West Georgia||6-1||335||JR||Austell, GA|
|G||*#William Wright||West Georgia||6-3||310||SR||Pompano Beach, FL|
|T||#Taylor Burnett||West Alabama||6-3||271||SR||Spanish Fort, AL|
|T||*Brandon White||West Georgia||6-5||305||SR||Cincinnati, OH|
|DL||*Taylor Carney||North Alabama||6-2||275||JR||Killen, AL|
|DL||Mario Gainer||West Alabama||6-0||245||SR||Gautier, MS|
|DL||Ryan Jones||West Alabama||6-2||250||JR||Irondale, AL|
|DL||!Diego Lubin||Delta State||5-11||230||JR||Winter Haven, FL|
|DL||*#Lawrence Virgil||Valdosta State||6-5||290||SR||Quitman, GA|
|LB||Tyrell Adams||West Georgia||6-2||215||JR||Atlanta, GA|
|LB||!Rory Island||Delta State||6-0||225||JR||Waveland, MS|
|LB||$Gabe Poe||North Alabama||5-10||210||SR||Pheba, MS|
|LB||*!$Chris Pope||Valdosta State||6-1||233||SR||Jackson, GA|
|LB||*!Tavarius Wilson||North Alabama||5-11||225||SR||Jackson, MS|
|DB||*!Malcolm Butler||West Alabama||5-11||180||SR||Vicksburg, MS|
|DB||*!Caleb Massey||North Alabama||6-0||226||SR||Sulligent, AL|
|DB||*Demetruce McNeal||West Alabama||6-2||185||SR||College Park, GA|
|DB||Dominique Wheeler||Valdosta State||5-8||177||SR||Stone Mountain, GA|
|K||Mark Grant||West Alabama||5-7||160||FR||Panama City, FL|
|P||Dominic DeMasi||Valdosta State||6-3||188||SO||Savannah, GA|
|RS||Michael Davison||Delta State||5-0||160||FR||Avondale, AZ|
|RS||Derick Seward||West Georgia||5-10||195||JR||Wheatland, CA|
|BT||Chase Penland||West Georgia||6-0||205||SR||Brooks, GA|
|UT||Mabry Cook||North Alabama||6-2||240||SR||Brewton, AL|
|!—2012 First Team All-GSC||#—2012 Second Team All-GSC|
|$—2011 First Team All-GSC||*—Unanimous selection|
2013 ALL-GSC FOOTBALL SECOND TEAM
|QB||Tyler Sullivan||Delta State||6-3||235||FR||Louisville, MS|
|QB||Bobby Vega||Florida Tech||6-1||195||SR||Miami, FL|
|RB||#Lamonte Thompson||North Alabama||5-8||175||SO||Florence, AL|
|RB||Kedrick Rhodes||West Alabama||5-11||200||SR||Ocala, FL|
|WR||Regginald Lewis||Valdosta State||6-1||183||SR||Forest Park, GA|
|WR||Malik Lofton||West Alabama||6-0||185||SR||Shubuta, MS|
|WR||Casey Osborne||Delta State||6-3||205||SO||Flowery Branch, GA|
|WR||Seth Roberts||West Alabama||6-2||190||SR||Tallahassee, FL|
|WR||Jason Smith||North Alabama||5-10||165||SR||Gurley, AL|
|TE||Ty Morgan||West Alabama||6-3||242||SO||Sweet Water, AL|
|AP||Gary Johnston (QB)||West Alabama||5-11||200||SR||Gulf Shores, AL|
|C||#Skeeter Sellers||West Alabama||6-1||280||SR||Enterprise, AL|
|G||#David Lundberg||North Alabama||6-1||310||SR||Winfield, AL|
|G||Ramsey Sellers||Florida Tech||5-10||190||JR||Wiggins, MS|
|G||Felei Tauvae||Valdosta State||6-1||355||JR||American Somoa|
|T||Ethan Corkren||West Alabama||6-2||260||SR||Brilliant, AL|
|T||Keith Jones||North Alabama||6-5||315||JR||Birmingham, AL|
|T||Kenston Redfearn||North Alabama||6-3||310||SR||Lexington, NC|
|DL||#Tevin Davis||Valdosta State||6-0||257||JR||Forsyth, GA|
|DL||Adrian Dinkins||Delta State||6-3||260||JR||Ridgeland, MS|
|DL||Skylar Sheffield||Florida Tech||6-3||305||FR||Henderson, TN|
|LB||Justin Arcune||Florida Tech||6-2||230||JR||Los Altos, CA|
|LB||!Jeremy Grable||Valdosta State||6-0||216||SR||Alpharetta, GA|
|LB||#Brion James||North Alabama||6-1||190||SR||Hahnville, LA|
|LB||Chris Stapleton||Florida Tech||5-11||215||FR||Navarre, FL|
|LB||Ricky Willis||West Alabama||6-2||200||SR||Columbiana, MS|
|DB||Manny Abad||Florida Tech||6-1||175||FR||Fort Lauderdale, FL|
|DB||Robert Jones||West Alabama||6-1||180||SR||Laurel, MS|
|DB||Richard Nash||Delta State||5-9||180||SO||Macon, GA|
|DB||Trenton Warren||Delta State||5-10||185||SR||Baytown, TX|
|K||Vince Sciorrotta||Delta State||5-9||170||FR||Cumming, GA|
|P||James Dugan||West Georgia||6-5||180||SO||Carrollton, GA|
|BT||Tyler O’Neal||West Alabama||6-3||250||JR||Little Rock, AR|
|BT||Trenton Warren||Delta State||5-10||185||SR||Baytown, TX|
|UT||Matt Humphries||West Alabama||5-11||230||JR||Hueytown, AL|
|!—2012 First Team All-GSC||#—2012 Second Team All-GSC|
NOTES: There were only two nominations for RS and both tied for First Team. The 2013 All-GSC Football Team was selected by the head coaches; Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own players; Ties were not broken.