YOUR OPINION: Adults Walking Away From Responsible Leadership of the Next Generation
By Matthew Shay // March 15, 2018
YOUR OPINION: neutral site for the citizens of Brevard
I have some disappointing news to share with all of the news directors, assignment editors, and reporters who covered the national “walk out” – You all missed a much more important national walk which has been going on for several years: Adults walking away from responsible leadership of the next generation.
To the school administrators who participated in this protest, consider the following list of lectures which you had a chance to present rather than your political grandstanding:
• You had a chance to explain the impact of local elections, which make the difference between a competent sheriff or an incompetent sheriff, but you walked out.
• You had a chance to explain the importance of researching future candidates for local school board commission, but you walked out.
• You had a chance to teach your students about the negative impact of poor communication between organizations, whether it’s between the FBI and a Sheriff’s department, or two departments in a private corporation such as their potential future place of employment, but you walked out.
• You had a chance to teach your students about the delicate balance of individual accountability with our freedoms, but you walked out.
• You had a chance to teach your students about the importance of planning and collaborative teamwork in the midst of a crisis, but you walked out.
• You had a chance to explain how it’s possible for a responsible citizen to have true compassion for shooting victims while defending gun rights, but you walked out.
• You had a chance to teach children how to manage their emotional responses without letting it impact their duties at home, school or place of employment, but you walked out.
• You had a chance to groom a future leader who won’t expect a refuge and a break from work anytime they hear about a national story that creates fear, but you walked out.
• You had a chance to groom a future leader who doesn’t blame objects for the acts of evil individuals, but you walked out.
• You’ve contributed to the vanishing American adult.
I end this letter with a quote U.S. Sen. Ben Sasse, author of “The Vanishing American adult”:
We are living in an America of perpetual adolescence. Our kids simply don’t know what an adult is anymore – or how to become one. Many don’t even see a reason to try. Perhaps more problematic, the older generations have forgotten that we need to plan to teach them. It’s our fault more than it is theirs.”
– Matthew Shay, Melbourne, Florida
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS