VIDEO: Learn How To Make Sweet, Simple Florida Arugula, Berry and Citrus Salad
By Space Coast Daily // September 9, 2018
SPACE COAST DAILY TV PRESENTATION
— Fresh From Florida (@freshfromFL) December 9, 2016
ABOVE VIDEO: #FreshFromFlorida strawberries are in season! Learn how to make a sweet & simple side salad.
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services – Florida farmers make it easy for everyone to eat fresh produce year-round. Due to the milder climate in the Sunshine State, fruits and vegetables grown in Florida are generally available earlier than those produced in other states.
In fact, most of Florida’s produce is available between October and June.
This allows you to enjoy fresh Florida tomatoes, oranges, bell peppers, strawberries, snap beans and squash during the winter months, and fresh Florida blueberries, sweet corn and watermelon in late spring.
Seafood and shellfish caught in Florida’s waters are available year-round. So enjoy the bounty that Florida has to offer – and for delicious dishes, check out our “Fresh From Florida” recipes created by Chef Justin Timineri, Florida’s culinary ambassador.
Florida Arugula, Berry and Citrus Salad Ingredients:
Arugula and Florida Berry Salad
- 16 ounces arugula, rinsed and drained
- 1 dozen Florida strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- 1 cup Florida orange, peeled and segmented
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Florida pecans
- ¾ cup natural Florida sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pre-heat a pan on medium heat.
- Add the pecans and toast until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add butter, sugar and salt; stir to coat.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl add arugula, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Plate the dressed arugula and evenly add the citrus and berries around the greens.
- Add the goat cheese and garnish each salad with candied pecans, serve chilled.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS