SOCCER RECAP: Orlando City Earns a Point in 1-1 Draw at New York City FC
By Orlando City SC // April 28, 2019
Nani scored his fourth goal over the last three matches
ABOVE VIDEO: Orlando City SC (3-3-3, 12 points) and New York City FC (2-1-6, 12 points) played to a 1-1 draw on Saturday afternoon, splitting the points at Yankee Stadium.
BRONX, NEW YORK – Orlando City SC (3-3-3, 12 points) and New York City FC (2-1-6, 12 points) played to a 1-1 draw on Saturday afternoon, splitting the points at Yankee Stadium.
With the opening goal of the game, Nani scored his fourth goal over the last three matches, extending his team lead to five goals on the season.
Head Coach James O’Connor:
“Obviously a very hard-fought game for both teams. Difficult conditions with the wind and the field. I think, overall and having looked at it, a draw is probably a fair result…I think, for us, coming here it’s a very tough place to come. If you look at [NYCFC] statistically, they are very strong at home.”
18’ Nani – ORL 1, NYC 0
The Lions open the scoring with a great team goal, building up the right side of the field after Ruan was sprung free on the outside on a through ball from Uri Rosell. Ruan sent a cross into the box that was blocked by a NYCFC defender, but fell to the feet of Nani who made no mistake on the one-timed shot.
51’ Héber – ORL 1, NYC 1
Brian Rowe saved a shot from NYC forward Maximilian Morález but the ball rebounded off the crossbar to the feet of Héber, allowing the forward to equalize for the Pigeons.
- The Lions appeared to take a two-goal lead in the 33rd minute, however Tesho Akindele’s goal was overturned after video review on an offside call.
- With his goal in the 18th minute, Nani has now scored the Lions last four consecutive goals and has provided five goals in his last four appearances.
- Nani has had a hand in the Lions’ last five goals, with his four straight scores and an assist to Chris Mueller on April 6.
- With a draw, the Lions and Pigeons have split points over the last two matches. The two sides saw at 2-2 result in the 2019 season opener at Orlando City Stadium on March 2.
- Next Match: The Lions return to Orlando City Stadium on Saturday, hosting Toronto FC on Saturday, May 4 with kickoff set for 4 p.m. ET.
ORL – Nani 18’
NYC – Héber 51’
NYC – Ben Sweat (Yellow Card) 53’
ORL – Uri Rosell (Yellow Card) 71’
ORL – Robin Jansson (Yellow Card) 85’
Orlando City SC – GK Brian Rowe; D Ruan, Lamine Sane, Robin Jansson, Joao Moutinho; M Sebastian Mendez (Sacha Kljestan 74’), Uri Rosell, Will Johnson; F Chris Mueller (Dom Dwyer 62’), Tesho Akindele, Nani
Substitutes Not Used: GK Greg Ranjitsingh; D Kyle Smith, Kamal Miller; M Cristian Higuita, Josue Colman
New York City – GK Sean Johnson; D Maxime Chanot, James Sands, Alexander Callens; M Anton Tinnerholm, Alexander Ring, Ebenezer Ofori, Ben Sweat (Valentin Castellanos 84’); F Ismael Tajouri-Shradi (Alexandru Mitrita 76’), Heber, Maxi Moralez
Substitutes Not Used: GK Brand Stuver; D Sebastien Ibeagha; M Jesus Medina, Tony Rocha, Keaton Parks
Details of the Game:
Time: 1 p.m. ET
Date: April 27, 2019
NYC – 65.6%
ORL – 34.4%
NYC – 15
ORL – 3
NYC – 0
ORL – 4
NYC – 11
ORL – 18
NYC – 9
ORL – 1
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS