Brevard Public Schools Announce Plans and Protocols for Graduation Ceremonies Beginning July 18
By Space Coast Daily // July 2, 2020
All ceremonies will be held outdoors with strict social distancing guidelines
BREVARD COUNTY, VIERA • FLORIDA – Brevard Public Schools today announced plans to hold graduation ceremonies for each of its high schools from July 18-25.
All ceremonies will be held outdoors with strict adherence to social distancing guidelines and additional district-mandated health and safety protocols for students, guests, and staff to include:
• Mandatory face coverings for all staff, participants and attendees — all are expected to have their own mask;
• Student temperature screenings upon arrival;
• Each graduate will receive 2 tickets for guests — all guests will be seated in the bleachers
• No physical contact between students and/or staff;
• No guests on the field before, during, or after the ceremony;
• No indoor activities to include group gatherings, practices, or other traditions.
Students will be seated six feet apart throughout the event’s duration, as will their guests. Upon completion of the ceremony, all graduates and visitors will immediately exit the venue as directed, while continuing to socially distance themselves from one another.
Further details and individual graduation plans will be released by each school the week of July 6th, along with a complete list of graduation health and safety procedures.
“I am grateful to our school principals for their efforts to make this long-awaited goal a reality for the Class of 2020,” said BPS Superintendent, Dr. Mark Mullins.
“This plan makes it possible for our graduates to experience an in-person ceremony surrounded by classmates and family and to be individually recognized while receiving their diploma. It will, however, require a willingness on the part of our students and their guests to comply with added health and safety measures which will be strongly enforced.”
Individuals who are COVID positive, considered high risk or those displaying fever or flu-like symptoms should not attend. The district is planning to live stream ceremonies where feasible for those unable to be there in person.
A schedule of school graduation dates and times is provided below:
Date & Time School/Location
– July 18 – 9:00 AM Cocoa Beach
– July 18 – 5:00 PM Astronaut
– July 18 – 5:00 PM Satellite
– July 18- 7:00 PM Rockledge @ McLarty
– July 18 – 7:00 PM Viera
– July 18 – 8:30 PM West Shore @ Satellite
– July 23 – 7:00 PM Heritage
– July 24- 7:00 PM Cocoa
– July 24 – 7:00 PM Melbourne
– July 24 – 7:00 PM Merritt Island
– July 24 – 7:00 PM Space Coast
– July 25 – 8:30 AM Eau Gallie
– July 25 – 9:00 AM Bayside
– July 25 – 9:00 AM Palm Bay
– July 25 – 9:00 AM Titusville
– July 25 – 10:00 AM Edgewood @ Merritt Island
– TBA Brevard Virtual
– TBA Adult Education