First Ever Excessive Heat Warning Issued by National Weather Service in Melbourne
By Space Coast Daily // August 8, 2023
To put today’s heat into perspective, today is the first day an Excessive Heat Warning has ever been issued by the Melbourne office.
Remember to practice heat safety!
Prepare for Extreme Heat
– Learn to recognize the signs of heat illness.
– Do not rely on a fan as your primary cooling device. Fans create air flow and a false sense of comfort, but do not reduce body temperature or prevent heat-related illnesses.
– Identify places in your community where you can go to get cool such as libraries and shopping malls or contact your local health department to find a cooling center in your area.
– Cover windows with drapes or shades.
– Weather-strip doors and windows.
– Use window reflectors specifically designed to reflect heat back outside.
– Add insulation to keep the heat out.
– Use a powered attic ventilator, or attic fan, to regulate the heat level of a building’s attic by clearing out hot air.
– Install window air conditioners and insulate around them.
– If you are unable to afford your cooling costs, weatherization or energy-related home repairs, contact the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) for help.