Power BI Report vs Dashboard – Understanding the Key Differences
By Space Coast Daily // September 28, 2023
Power BI is a dependable partner for managers, company owners, and students exploring the fascinating field of digital marketing and advertising in the realm of data-driven decision-making.
Reports and dashboards are two crucial tools inside Power BI that are often brought up in discussions. What precisely separates the two, and when should you choose one over the other? We’ll explain everything to you in clear English in this article.
Power BI Reports: The Detailed Storytellers
Consider your Power BI reports to be your in-depth storytellers. These are thorough papers that analyze your data in-depth and provide a detailed analysis of facts. When you need to precisely evaluate data or are putting together in-depth presentations for your stakeholders, reports are ideal. If you cannot figure it out yourself, then contact a power BI consultation for help. They will tell you which direction to go.
When to use Power BI reports:
- use reports to provide a thorough examination of your data as necessary;
- they are appropriate for in-depth presentations, often to internal teams or stakeholders that want in-depth knowledge;
- reports are excellent for in-depth data examination, especially for ad-hoc research.
Key Features of Power BI Reports
- Detailed visualizations. You may design elaborate tables, graphs, and charts for reports. Here, you may go deeply into the specifics of your data.
- Ability to drill through. Drilling down to individual data points is possible using reports. You may dig down from a global view to regional, local, or product-level data, for instance, if you have a sales report.
- Interactivity. Users may sift, slice, and dice data to get the precise insights they want since reports are interactive.
- Pagination. Reports may convey large amounts of data in an ordered way since they comprise numerous pages.
Power BI Dashboards: The Quick Glance Managers
Power BI dashboards, on the other hand, serve as data managers with rapid access. They’re designed to provide users rapid insights and real-time access to key KPIs and indicators. When you require a broad overview of your digital marketing and advertising activities, dashboards are your best bet.
When to use Power BI dashboards:
- key performance indicators (KPIs) may be monitored in real-time with the use of dashboards;
- they are effective in meetings or other circumstances when you need to swiftly express the status of your digital marketing initiatives;
- when you want to monitor the health of your company without engaging in thorough data analysis, use dashboards.
A Few of Power BI Dashboards’ Highlights
- Tiles and Widgets. Widgets or tiles, which resemble scaled-down visualizations, make up dashboards. These may provide snapshots of certain metrics or real-time data.
- Actual data. Dashboards are ideal for tracking ongoing campaigns or company performance since they can bring in real-time data.
- Customization. Dashboards may be tailored to simply display the most important data, leaving them clear and simple to interpret.
- Interactivity. Despite the fact that dashboards are less in-depth than reports, users may still click on widgets to get additional in-depth reports or data.
Combining Reports and Dashboards for Maximum Impact
Here’s the secret sauce: the real power of Power BI lies in combining reports and dashboards. Reports provide the depth, while dashboards provide the breadth. Together, they offer a comprehensive view of your digital marketing and advertising landscape.
How to Combine Reports and Dashboards Effectively
Create a dashboard first. Start by creating a dashboard that shows your most important KPIs. This provides you with a broad perspective.
Drill through using tiles. Your dashboard should include tiles that users may click to get comprehensive reports as required. This keeps the ratio of fast insights to in-depth analysis in check.
URL for reports. For further research, you may also directly connect your dashboard to certain reports. The procedure is streamlined for customers who wish to go further.
Recurrent updates. Make sure to periodically update your dashboards with the most recent information. This provides up-to-date information to everyone.
Anyone navigating the digital marketing and advertising arena must have access to Power BI reports and dashboards. Dashboards provide immediate, real-time information, while reports convey complete stories. Use reports for in-depth analysis and dashboards for fast glances together to get the most out of Power BI. You’ll be able to make decisions that will help your business succeed in the quickly evolving digital world with the assistance of our talented team.