Brevard Zoo Sad To Announce Death of African Grey Parrot ‘Rocky’
By Brevard Zoo // September 24, 2015
passed away while under anesthesia
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – The Brevard Zoo is sad to announce that earlier this week during a routine exam, Rocky, our African grey parrot, passed away while under anesthesia.
A necropsy has been performed and we are awaiting lab results to determine the exact cause of death.
Rocky’s age is unknown but she had been with the Zoo since we opened in 1994, greeting guests at the main entrance several days a week.
Staff and volunteers adored her infectious personality and the individual relationships she formed with everyone.
We will miss her dance moves, waves, high fives and whistles, as well as her impersonations of hawks and fire drills.
ABOUT BREVARD ZOO
“Wildlife Conservation through Education and Participation.”
To support that mission, we focus on:
- Caring responsibly, professionally and passionately for our animals
- Connecting visitors to the natural world through a relevant, unique and enjoyable Zoo experience
- Educating diverse audiences through authentic learning activities and through our on-going partnership with Brevard Public Schools and other educational providers
- Inspiring and engaging our community in conservation action through participation
- Achieving conservation results by working directly with Florida species, supporting international programs and developing training programs and workshops
- Contributing to the financial health of the region through prudent, accountable and entrepreneurial management