Palm Bay, Cocoa, MCC Will Host Playoff Games, Viera Tries To Lock Down Top Spot Friday Night
By Space Coast Daily // October 27, 2016
Bright House Sports Top 20 HS Football Teams
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – The high school football season is winding down and the playoffs are starting to take shape for Brevard County teams.
Three weeks ago, the 12th ranked Melbourne Central Catholic Hustlers became the first Brevard County team to wrap up a spot in the post season tournament, and this past week sent notice when they defeated Ocala Trinity Catholic.
In what many considered their toughest opponent of the season, the Hustlers defeated Trinity Catholic by 30 points, the closest game of the season MCC has played. In the statewide AP poll, MCC isn’t ranked, but they did receive 37 votes.
The Cocoa Tigers continue to dominate Brevard teams and took down the Astronaut War Eagles on Friday night, 48-6. The Tigers did so in un-Tigerlike fashion, as quarterback Bruce Judson passed for four touchdowns, all in the first quarter.
The win clinched the Class 4A District 5 title for the Tigers, who are ranked No. 1 in the AP statewide Class 4A poll. Cocoa has now won 40 straight games against teams from Brevard County.
In case you were wondering, the last time the Tigers dropped a county game was nearly as long ago as the last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series.
Well, maybe not that long but the date was October 10, 2008 when Merritt Island converted a two-point conversion attempt for a 15-14 win.
ABOVE VIDEO: Alan Zlotorzynski from Space Coast Daily and the Friday Night Locker Room speaks with the FNLR player of the game, Palm Bay running back BJ Daniels.
Thanks to a stout defense and senior running back BJ Daniels, the ninth ranked Pirates won their first district title since 2013. After suffering four straight losses to Merritt Island, who was riding a 30-game winning streak in district play and seeking their sixth straight district title, the Pirates scored 27 unanswered points in defeating the Mustnags 27-10 on Friday night.
ABOVE VIDEO: Steve Wilson of Space Coast Daily and the Friday Night Locker Room speaks with Satellite Scorpions head coach Mark Carstens following his teams big win Friday night.
Pirate running back BJ Daniels rushed for 210 yards and three touchdowns. The Friday Night Locker Room Player of the game now has close to 1,500 rushing yards this season and 18 touchdowns, both tops in the county.
The Pirates are now 7-0 overall and ranked fourth in Class 5A. The Pirates secured the district title and enter the regional playoffs on Nov. 11 playing at home. The win was head coach Dan Burke’s 200th of his 20 year coaching career.
Merritt Island can still make the playoffs by defeating Rockledge on Friday and claim the runner up spot behind Palm Bay. A loss to Rockledge and a Titusville win over Space Coast and football chaos will break out, as their will be a three-way tie for second place.
The Viera Hawks can wrap up Class 7A district 6 on Friday with a win on the road at South Fork. Coming off their bye week, the Hawks are rested and ready.
Friday’s game will be broadcast live on Space Coast Daily’s Facebook Live page, as Alan Zlotorzynski and Zach Clark travel with Viera to Stuart, Florida for a 6 p.m. kickoff.
- Cocoa (5-1) – Tigers dominated Astronaut 48-6 to secure the 4A, District 5 championship and a home playoff game when the postseason begins Nov. 11.
- Mainland (8-0)– Bucs, who put up 63 points against New Smyrna Beach, have scored at least 35 in every game this season.
- Apopka (8-0) – Blue Darters close out their regular season schedule by hosting Evans on Thursday night.
- Seminole (8-0) – The ‘Noles are district champs for the first time since 2010, when they advanced to the region finals.
- Osceola (9-0)– Kowboys locked up their sixth straight district title by running past Haines City 50-12.
- Dr. Phillips (6-2) – Panthers won their ninth consecutive district championship by smothering rival Olympia 24-14.
- Bishop Moore (7-1) – Since loss to Orange City University on Sep. 9, the Hornets have outscored their last five opponents 258-50.
- Viera (5-2) – Junior Miguel Rodriguez has 15 sacks for a Hawks defense that is allowing 15.4 points per game.
- Palm Bay (7-0) –Pirates rallied from an early 10-0 deficit by scoring 27-unanswered points to top Merritt Island and clinch the 5A, District 14 title.
- Hagerty (7-1) – Huskies can match a school record for victories with a victory against Edgewater.
- Jones (7-1) – Tigers take on Lake Highland (6-2) Friday night on BHSN with the winner earning a spot in the postseason.
- Melbourne Central Catholic (7-0) – Friday’s 30-point win against Ocala Trinity Catholic was the closest margin of victory this season for the Hustlers.
- Orange City University (6-2) – Titans rolled up more than 500 yards of offense in a win against Lake Mary and need the Rams to beat Seminole this week to have any shot at the postseason.
- Winter Park (6-2) – Wildcats locked up the 8A, District 3 championship with Friday’s 28-19 win over Boone.
- Timber Creek (6-2) – Sophomore Peter Hayes-Patrick is nearing 1,000 rushing yards for the season.
- Wekiva (5-3) – Mustangs face West Orange (2-6) Thursday night on BHSN with a spot in the playoffs on the line.
- South Sumter (7-1) – Raiders upset Dunnellon 21-15 and can secure the 4A, District 4 championship with a victory against Mount Dora (5-3).
- Lake Brantley (5-3) – Patriots scored a school record 69 points to annihilate Oviedo and take a step closer to a playoff berth.
- Deltona (6-2) – Wolves can reach the postseason for the second straight year with a win at Matanzas (5-2).
- Ocoee (5-3) – A 21-14 loss to Wekiva snapped the Knights’ five game winning streak.
* Merritt Island fell out after being ranked 18th last week.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY SPORTS NEWS