Cyber Security Resolution: Data Breaches and Scams Show No Signs of Slowing in 2018
By Phil Archer, State Attorney // January 7, 2018
$107 billion has been stolen from consumers
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Data breaches and scams show no signs of slowing in 2018. Maybe it’s time to add a “Cyber Fitness” resolution and up your game to protect your personal identity.
According to a Javelin Strategy 2017 fraud study, more than $107 billion has been stolen from consumers by identity thieves in the past six years.
PNC Bank recently published the Top Six New Year Resolutions to help protect your identity:
• Keep Software Updated by installing the latest security enhancements and patches. Always use security, malware, and antivirus protection when going online.
• Use Secure Sites only for online shopping. These sites display https//: at the front of the web address. The “s” stands for secure.
• Update Passwords more frequently and anytime there has been a security breach. Make sure their strong and varied from site to site.
• Security Alerts Sign up for alerts via text message or email to inform you when important activity on your credit card or banking account occurs.
• Use Two-Step Authentication. A unique one-time passcode that is automatically sent to you via text message every time you login online to your bank account.
• Review Your Credit Report. Get a free copy of your credit report every 12 months from each of the 3 national credit reporting agencies at annualcreditreport.com
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS