Brevard Tourist Development Council Grants Available Up to $900,000 For Indian River Lagoon Improvement
By Space Coast Daily // October 1, 2018
Enhancing water quality, increasing habitat, providing additional points of access
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Legislative changes adopted on August 14, 2018, make lagoon and estuary projects eligible for Tourist Development Tax revenues.
The Brevard County Tourist Development Council announced the availability of up to $900,000 in grant funds for projects that demonstrate a benefit to the health of the Indian River Lagoon and a positive impact to Brevard County tourism.
Projects that qualify for this grant include:
• Litter Control – Shoreline and Causeways/Entryways
• Living Shorelines – Restoration and Protection (Sustainable)
• Habitat Restoration – support Fishing/Wildlife Viewing (Charters)
• Waterway Destinations & Access – Improved and Sustainable Recreational Waterway Access
To be eligible to apply for the Tourism + Lagoon Competitive Grant Program, applicants must be one of the following:
• A non-government, non-profit, tax-exempt Florida corporation, as follows:
– Be registered as a not-for-profit corporation pursuant to Chapter 617, Florida Statutes,
– Be established as a tax-exempt organization as defined in Section 501c (3) or (6) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954,
– Confirm compliance with 5.170 of the Internal Revenue Code, as evidenced by a copy of the IRS determination letter provided by the applicant confirming federal tax-exempt status,
– Provide a copy of organization’s certificate of incorporation.
• A local government within Brevard County, (City, Town and/or the County).
• An academic institution.
Enhancing water quality, increasing habitat, and providing additional points of access can generate thousands of new jobs and increase the value and output of the Indian River Lagoon based economy.
It is estimated that each visitor to the Indian River Lagoon region spends about $162 a day. For every 85 visitors to the IRL-region, one job can be expected to be created.
The deadline for submitting the application and all attachments is November 7 at 5 p.m. There will be a non-mandatory pre-submittal meeting on October 8 at 2 p.m.
CLICK HERE to access the Brevard County Tourist Development Council Tourism+Lagoon grant application.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS