‘Project Pelican’ Unveiled At Port Canaveral
By Space Coast Daily // June 24, 2014
SPECIAL VIDEO FEATURE
ABOVE VIDEO: Port Canaveral officials announced a 35-year agreement on Monday with Gulftainer USA, who will invest $100 million in infrastructure, equipment and locally-sourced labor.
Gulftainer USA, Port Canaveral Ink 35-Year Cargo Agreement, Expected To Create 500 Jobs
PORT CANAVERAL, FLORIDA — With state and local leaders watching, Port Canaveral CEO John Walsh officially announced a 35-year agreement on Monday with Gulftainer USA to operate a multi-purpose cargo terminal that is expected to create 500 on-site jobs.
Under the terms of the agreement with the port, Gulftainer will invest $100 million in infrastructure, equipment and locally-sourced labor.
The new container and cargo terminal is expected to contribute more than $630 million to the local economy, $280 million in revenue to Port Canaveral and generate more than $350 million in tax contributions.
Gulftainer expects to hire 100 percent of its full time employees from Brevard County.
Port Canaveral authorities expect the terminal to create 2,000 direct and indirect jobs when fully operational.
“We are equally committed to rolling up our sleeves and working hand in hand to make this a success,” Walsh said.
“This agreement marks a new era for Port Canaveral. We partnered with a proven world-leader. As Florida seeks to expand its position in global supply chains, this will happen here in Port Canaveral…Coupled with cranes and terminal construction, add in rail connections, our shared future is bright & prosperous.”
FACTS ABOUT GULFTAINER
• One of the world’s largest privately owned por management and logistics. companies and was established in the United Arab Emirates in 1976.
• The first company to establish a container terminal in the entire Middle East region at Port Khalid in Sharjah in 197.
• Aims to expand its global portfolio to reach 35 terminals across five continents by 2020. Gulftainer is in active discussions with potential partners int he Americas, India, Africa and select Southeast Asian markets to leverage growth opportunities in the ports and containerisation sector of these regions.
• In addition to expanding its current facilities, Gulftainer plans to invest in new facilities to increase its handling capacity up to and over 18 million TEU’s annually with the vision of becoming one of the world’s top six terminal operators.
• Gulftainer has recorded consistent growth over the past decade, averaging over 12% compared to global market growth of 8.6% during the same period.