Hurricane Dorian Weakens to CAT 2, Projected Path Has Storm Passing Brevard Coastline 60 to 80 Miles Offshore
By Space Coast Daily // September 3, 2019
Brevardians can expect tropical force winds of 40 to 50 mph, with gusts of up to 60 mph, and sudden heavy downpours
SPACE COAST DAILY TV HURRICANE DORIAN 11 A.M. TUESDAY UPDATE: Space Daily’s Chris Bonanno discusses the latest report by the National Hurricane Center on Hurricane Dorian as of 11 a.m. Tuesday.
NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER 11 A.M. UPDATE:
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – The National Hurricane Center reported at 11 a.m. Tuesday that Hurricane Dorian weakened to a CAT 2.
The NHC forecast path continues to shift east as the center of the storm is now predicted to pass the Brevard County coastline with 100 mph winds approximately 60 to 80 miles east of the coast overnight on Tuesday.
The National Hurricane Center stressed that a shift to the left of this track could bring the hurricane near or over the Brevard County coastline.
A hurricane warning continues to be in effect for Brevard County as the storm may bring up to 6 inches of rain and strong winds to the Space Coast.
Brevardians can expect tropical force winds of 40 to 50 mph, with gusts of up to 60 mph, and sudden heavy downpours.
Dorian is beginning to move northwest at about 1 mph, and a slightly faster motion toward the northwest or north-northwest is expected later today and tonight.
The National Weather Service in Melbourne forecasts predicts new rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible on Tuesday. Here’s the NWS weather forecast for Brevard county through Sunday:
• On Tuesday night, tropical storm conditions are expected, with hurricane conditions possible with new rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
• Wednesday: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 90. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
• Wednesday Night: Tropical storm conditions possible, with hurricane conditions also possible. A 20 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 74.
• Thursday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 95. West southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
• Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 76. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph.
• Friday: Sunny, with a high near 92. West southwest wind around 10 mph.
• Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 75. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
• Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Sunny, with a high near 90. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
• Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 75. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
• Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Sunny, with a high near 91. South wind around 5 mph.
Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 77. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
STAY TUNED TO SPACE COAST DAILY FOR UPDATES
NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER: Hurricane Dorian is now Category 2 storm moving slowly at 2 miles per hour to the north-northwest. (NWS image)
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS